“Glaciers are key indicators and a unique means of showing ongoing climate change,” says Michael Zemp, director of the World Glacier Monitoring Service, a global program for monitoring the health of the planet's glaciers, in the preface to the latest annual bulletin. “Their rapid decline is not only changing the landscape of mountains and polar regions, but also has a very real impact on some at-risk regions, water cycles and sea levels.”
Michael Zemp for Huffpost, writed by Francesco De Augustinis
Silenzio Alpestre tells of our silent observation of climate changes, especially those taking place in the glaciers of our Alps, which appear different from year to year, even to the naked eye. With a provocation, once the candle is finished, the designer suggests not to throw it away, but to use its melting as the basis on which to place other cylinder candles, a symbol of something that, just like the glaciers, has been lost, but will not leave behind only a vague memory.
Handmade candles produced in Italy in a laboratory open since the end of the 19th century.
INSPIRED BY CLIMATE CHANGE
The Silenzio Alpestre candle, in Italian olive wax, is inspired by observing the Alps glaciers and the melting phenomenon affecting them. As the wax melts, it clings to the rough, rock-like texture of the surface texture and traces the path of the melted ice up the mountain. Once the candle is finished, as many wells will form at the base of the three cotton wicks, on which it is possible to place new cylindrical candles to give a second and third life to the precious olive wax.
Obtained with a process that extracts the pulp left after pressing the oil, this candle has three stable, bright, and long-lasting flames with limited CO2 emission.
• Italian olive wax
• cotton wicks
COLOR & TEXTURES
• the surface of the candle reproduces the typical roughness of stone and is not sticky
• Please, ask for a fragrance, writing to email@example.com
• (in): W 10,63 x D 5,51 x H 5,51 - 2,40 Ibs
• (cm): W 27 x D 14 x H 14 - 1,1 kg
• Olive wax candle: Northern Italy
• Refining of olive wax: Northern Italy
• Not required
CLEANING AND CARE
• It is recommended to light it on a tray with a diameter of 35 cm and a height of 3 cm, or 35 x 30 cm, height 3 cm, by using sand under the candle it is possible to prevent the hot wax from sticking to the bottom of the tray.
• For a longer life of the candle we recommend not leaving it lit for more than one/two hours after each lighting and not having drafts or heat near the candle.
✔ VEGAN AND CRUELTY-FREE PRODUCTION